Sunday, May 18, 2003

Matrix Multiplication

My girlfriend Christina and I finally went and saw Matrix: Reloaded. Beyond the hype, I was moderately pleased. There were certainly elements that could've been left out - like a boring "night-club / sex" scene that went on for way too long. However, there were many other developments in the plot that I found interesting. I won't spoil it, but I found it interesting how the character's understandings of choice and free will evolved. That's all I will say. The whole Matrix concept interests me on many levels. Stunning visuals and action sequences aside, the films seem to reflect some of the philosophical ideas of Plato and, it seems to me, a little from empiricist George Berkeley. And the Christian symbolism reveals a sort of theology reminiscent of the ancient Gnostic heresy, which I found fairly well described in Steve Kellmeyer's article for Envoy Magazine, The New Gnostic Gospel. Strange how this idea seems to appeal to many die-hard matrix followers. :)

Oh, and if you're a big fan of the Matrix, you'll know to wait around until the credits are over to see the preview for the third film, Matrix: Revolutions, as we and about 6 other people did. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails