Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Remember me at the altar of the Lord

Today is the Feast of St. Monica, mother of St. Augustine of Hippo. Augustine records in his Confessions (Book 9, 10-11):
We were overwhelmed with grief, but she held her gaze steadily upon us and spoke further: "Here you shall bury your mother." I remained silent as I held back my tears. However, my brother haltingly expressed his hope that she might not die in a strange country but in her own land, since her end would be happier there. When she heard this, her face was filled with anxiety, and she reproached him with a glance because he had entertained such earthly thoughts. Then she looked at me and spoke: "Look what he is saying." Thereupon she said to both of us: "Bury my body wherever you will; let not care of it cause you any concern. One thing only I ask you, that you remember me at the altar of the Lord wherever you may be."
Pray for us!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails