Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hurricane Gustav



Please keep everyone in the path of Gustav in your thoughts and prayers this week. It looks like the hurricane will be making landfall to the northeast of us, in Louisiana. It has weakened a bit since Cuba; because it is moving at a fairly fast rate (17mph?), it looks like it may not strengthen beyond a Category 3 before it hits land. Still, a very powerful storm.

The following email is from Bruce Trigo, the provincial moderator for the Dominican Laity of the Dominican Province of St. Martin de Porres:
Dear Brothers & Sisters,

As several members of our Dominican family in the Southern Province are once again being threatened by a hurricane(s) I ask for your prayers that the suffering to lives and property will be minimal. I bet many of you are a step ahead of this request and so I say thanks for the prayers and ask that you keep them going.

Mandatory evacuations have been called in for in most areas which affect all the Dominican communities in the Metropolitan areas of New Orleans. The only Dominican Communities unaffected by mandatory evacuations are the Hammond/Ponchatoula areas which are North of Lake Ponchartrain.

I also ask that you remember our family in Cuba as well. Just before the storm I received an email from Alberto Dorta, the Lay Provincial President of Cuba, asking for our prayers and letting me know that we were in their prayers as well.

While this quiet before the storm allows me to write you I suspect that after the storm I will not be able to communicate for awhile.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails