Friday, May 18, 2007

My friend, Bill Cork

Bill Cork wonders whether honest friendships can endure religious conversions. He asks this in the context of his recent reversion to Seventh-day Adventism. Before I say anything, I want to say that my wife and I count Bill and his family among our good, close friends -- even prior to our move to Houston. I've known Bill for going on 11 years and respect him as one of the most intelligent, faithful, and loyal people I've ever met. He has been a teacher, guide, and friend to me during these many years, and is always willing to lend a helping hand, or offer some otherwise useful piece of knowledge about a great many things. He's worked tirelessly for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, with great results, in spite of great and understandable frustration. I still hold him in great esteem, and I trust that our friendship will continue. Though it still requires effort, it is, of course, well worth it.

It would be an understatement to say that we were shocked at his re-embrace of Seventh-day Adventism, yet I still rejoice that I can still consider him to be a brother in Christ, in spite of our communal differences. Broken communion is still a scandal no matter how one looks at it, but it doesn't have to be insurmountable. It's the reality we have to work with in our present world, unfortunately. I know this in my own family and Protestant background.

I had avoided bringing this up on my own blog because I know the way in which controversy like this attracts all sorts of conjecture. I had desired to simply let Bill make his decision and express his reasons why, and let it be at that. Lately, however, I have seen much in his writing that merits highly critical examination, particularly in those cases where it seems he knowingly or unknowingly distorts or misrepresents the teachings of the Catholic Faith -- in particular because I know he knows better than to do this. That is my own personal observation. The difficulty for everyone concerns how to balance our pastoral sensitivity, for lack of a better term, with what is obviously for him not easy, while at the same time maintaining our commitment to what we believe is true. I do have to say that I haven't been too impressed with the way he has sought to intimidate or brush aside those who sincerely offer opposing points of view, but it's his blog, and he has full authority there -- he only wants to lay out his reasons without debate in his own space. I also know that for every good comment he gets, he gets 1000 nutty ones. Yet out of my own concern for some of the confusion his writings have been causing for some folks, I have offered whatever resources I can. In light of what Bill has been teaching with regard to his criticisms of the Catholic faith and his articulations of some of what Adventists believe, certainly he can appreciate a well rounded critique.

My congratulations to Bill in his new position as associate pastor of a Seventh-day Adventist church here in Houston. I can easily understand that Bill and his family are very happy that they are no longer divided. I would like to ask that he and his family continue to hold my family in prayer, and if he still appreciates a good beer now and again, I hope he knows there is more available!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails