Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Say what?

As in this line written by "W" over at Traditio in Radice blog:
I think it is beyond doubt that every member of the Communion of Saints (with the possible exception of St. Escriva, if he truly is a saint, but that is a whole other point of discussion which I shall not pursue here) would attend the Traditional Latin Mass. If any of the great saints whose pictures I have posted this week attended a Novus Ordo, they would think they had wandered into a Protestant service or at best would not recognise what they saw as a Catholic mass. They would, however, be right at home in any chapel with the T.L.M.
I hope I'm misreading this, and perhaps I should just defer to that doubt... but with all due respect to W's preference for the Tridentine mass, this statement seems, well, downright dangerous. Whatever one's argument for preferring the old mass over the current ordo missae, the reality is that we are all united around the same One Sacrifice of Christ. This is what the Saints in Heaven see. Let us be careful that we do not only see and elevate what is external and changeable and miss what is intrinsic and unchangeable, no matter how trite the language or sappy the music. Yes, I have my liturgical preferences as well. However, I count myself profoundly fortunate that I can even participate in this most glorious act, this most awesome mystery, even though I attend a Novus Ordo parish that happens to be in communion with my Archbishop and the Bishop of Rome. God's grace is abundant there.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails