Friday, October 14, 2005

I should append...

I should append to each of my reflections about marriage that these things are so easy to write about but are quite difficult to live out, human beings being what they are. Personally, I have seen a great amount of divorce throughout my lifetime, and I have witnessed its effects. Sometimes people enter into this without fully comprehending what they are consenting to; other times they were unwilling to communicate and actually develop a close relationship with their spouse, one based on real love and not just fuzzy feelings or infatuation. It is a comfort to know that my fiancee and I do not make these intentions alone and will not be left alone when times get rough; rather, we are entering into a sacramental bond through which God bestows grace for the purpose of bringing us closer to Him as we grow closer together in our relationship. I said before that what I say here may cause many of you married folk to roll your eyes because I speak from complete lack of experience. But we believe that we understand what we are consenting to, and we can only ask for your prayers of support!

UPDATE: Thanks to the contributors in the comment box for helping to clarify this -- When I said that "we understand what we are consenting to", I only meant this to mean that we understand that we are consenting to live out a mystery that is greater than these mere words (as represented by my recent reflections). We intend to live out what we understand Christ asks of us, but obviously how this is lived out as well as the sacramental mystery of what makes marriage what it is cannot be fully understood, especially beforehand. So that is why it is necessary for us to remain humble in the face of such mystery and grace and ask for your prayerful support.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails