Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Harry Potter... in Ancient Greek

My intention was to recreate a version of the book which would make sense to a Greek from any era up to the 4th century AD who had managed by some magical process (such as would only be taught only to very advanced students at Hogwarts!) to reach the 21st century. Objects and ideas would be unfamiliar - but once he'd got used to his new surroundings, the book would make complete sense. So I thought it was very important to have this time-traveling Greek in mind at all times, and continually ask myself "would that have any meaning for him? what would he make of that?" In other words a cultural transposition is involved, not just finding the words.
Classicist Andrew Wilson discusses how he translated Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone into Ancient Greek, published last October. Check out his website.

Harry Potter is also available in Irish Gaelic, and I have the Latin translation sitting on my bookshelf. I'll get to it eventually when I feel more confident!

I am randomly reminded of that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where, having escaped with the Jones Diary, Marcus Brody finds himself lost in Iskanderun trying desperately to communicate with the townsfolk:
Does anybody here speak English? Or even ancient Greek? No thank you sir, no water for me--fish make love in it. No thank you madam, no chicken I'm a vegetarian! Does anybody here understand a word I'm saying...?
Lost in his own museum.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails