Saturday, September 25, 2004

We needed God, so we created Him?

Blah. I've been hearing people my age make this argument to disprove the existence of God all throughout high school as well as at the university. Young, eager minds, right? The problem is, it proves absolutely nothing. G.K. Chesterton had the best response:
Some people say that God cannot exist; that God is merely a creation of human beings to satisfy some need or hunger for something greater. While it is true that there is an innate hunger for God within man, this no more disproves God than hunger in the stomach disproves food.
Of course, I have hungered for God my entire life. Sure, I found Him in faith through grace, and I have no problem with that. If it had been up to me to create Him, I would have most certainly created a god that wouldn't have required my own daily conversion and repentance. The path to holiness isn't an easy one for a human such as me, and though God is merciful, He is also just. I'm grateful that the reality and mystery of God is so much more to live - and hunger - for.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails