Thursday, July 31, 2003

St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral

In my free time I love to visit churches around, and while there are many in Santa Barbara worth mentioning (and I will, eventually), the talk of Cathedrals has given me pause to reflect on one of my favorite churches down in Los Angeles - the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sophia. St. Sophia's is actually located in Koreatown, though at the time of its construction, it was primarily Greek. Notable parishioners included actor Telly Savalas among others, but it is quite remarkably one of the most beautful churches I have ever seen - worth a visit if you are ever in the area. Here are some pictures from the website to give you the idea:


Looking East toward the Holy Altar


The Holy Altar and Icon Screen, with Bishop's Throne on the far right and pulpit on the far left


But take my word for it - these pictures are nothing like the real thing. The website explains the architecture of the building, both inside and out. From the outside, the building is rather unassuming. You really aren't quite sure what to expect before you step inside and find your senses overwhelmed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails