Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Great Entrance

From the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. The prayer of the priest at the Great Entrance, prayed in low voice while the people sing the Cherubic Hymn:
No one bound by worldly desires and pleasures is worthy to approach, draw near or minister to You, the King of glory. To serve You is great and awesome even for the heavenly powers. But because of Your ineffable and immeasurable love for us, You became man without alteration or change. You have served as our High Priest, and as Lord of all, and have entrusted to us the celebration of this liturgical sacrifice without the shedding of blood. For You alone, Lord our God, rule over all things in heaven and on earth. You are seated on the throne of the Cherubim, the Lord of the Seraphim and the King of Israel. You alone are holy and dwell among Your saints. You alone are good and ready to hear. Therefore, I implore You, look upon me, Your sinful and unworthy servant, and cleanse my soul and heart from evil consciousness. Enable me by the power of Your Holy Spirit so that, vested with the grace of priesthood, I may stand before Your holy Table and celebrate the mystery of Your holy and pure Body and Your precious Blood. To You I come with bowed head and pray: do not turn Your face away from me or reject me from among Your children, but make me, Your sinful and unworthy servant, worthy to offer to You these gifts. For You, Christ our God, are the Offerer and the Offered, the One who receives and is distributed, and to You we give glory, together with Your eternal Father and Your holy, good and life giving Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

2 comments:

SDA2 said...

I've always loved it... and especially the dialogue before the Great Entrance:

D: "May the Lord God remember your priesthood in His kingdom. "

P: "Pray for me, my concelebrant."

D: "The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Most High shall overshadow thee. "

P: "May that same Spirit concelebrate with us all the days of our lives."

I am so thankful for the matrix of Eastern Christianity, wherein my Catholic faith was nurtured. Just. . . wow.

Alan Phipps said...

Yes, I love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails